Clearing The Air: Lupita Nyong’o Apologizes Amid Backlash Of Her ‘Us’ Voice - Creak News

real time news...

Clearing The Air: Lupita Nyong’o Apologizes Amid Backlash Of Her ‘Us’ Voice

Share This
The National Board Of Review Annual Awards Gala - Arrivals

Source: Steven Ferdman / Getty

She Explains Her Process For Creating Her Chilling Red Voice

Lupita Nyong’o had people checking the mirror twice with her creepy performance in Us. The chilling voice she created added to the scariness, but one community wasn’t happy with it when Lupita revealed what inspired the voice. Now she’s addressing the backlash on The View.

According to an interview with Variety, Lupita said the voice was inspired by the neurological disorder spasmodic dysphonia. When people with the disorder found this out, they heavily criticized Lupita.

On The View, Lupita explained, “The voice of Red is a composite of influences and definitely a creation of my imagination. But I was inspired by a condition called spasmodic dysphonia.”

Lupita then went on to say that Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who has spasmodic dysphonia, became the catalyst for her character exploration. She also studied things like laryngeal fractures, vocal cord hemorrhages and her own experiences with vocal injuries.

She continued:

“I think in mentioning spasmodic dysphonia, I may have been disproportionate to what it actually is in the film. And I met with people as part of my exploration with the condition, and I learned how difficult it is to have the disorder. So I’m very aware of the frustrations and the misconceptions, the misdiagnosis. I met a man in his 70s who had it for two years and had been misdiagnosed over and over again. He’d seen more than five doctors, and nobody knew about this condition. So I thought in speaking up about it and mentioning it, it might shed light on the condition.”

Despite Lupita being inspired by the condition, she definitely understood the backlash she was receiving from a very marginalized group.

She explained:

“The thought that I would in a way offend them was not my intention. In my mind, I wasn’t interested in vilifying or demonizing the condition. I crafted Red with love and care. So as much as it is in a genre specific world, I really wanted to ground her in something that felt real. And so for all that, I say sorry to anyone that I may have offended.”

There you have it.

You can check out Lupita’s full explanation in the clip below, and let us know what you think!



from Bossip https://ift.tt/2uzLnta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages